Butternut Squash and Wensleydale Risotto
Can also use other types of squash such as kuri and crown prince
- 100g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 butternut squash (about 500g), peeled, deseeded and grated or cut into little cubes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 225g arborio rice
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 50g roasted hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp grated Wensleydale
1. Heat half the butter in a pan, add the onion and fry for about 5 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the squash and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, to soften slightly. Add the rice, stir, then add half the hot stock and stir occasionally. When all the liquid has been absorbed, gradually add the remaining stock, stirring regularly, until the rice is tender yet saucy; about 20 minutes.
2. Whizz the hazelnuts in a processor until finely ground. Heat the remaining butter in another pan and add the ground hazelnuts. Fry for a few minutes to brown, then stir into the risotto. Serve sprinkled with cheese.