A great pesto recipe provided to us by a box scheme member. Nice with pasta or as a dip. Try replacing the kale with spring greens or sorrel - whatever's in season. And if you want to make the dish vegan it's delicious without the cheese!
- 1/2 mug toasted almonds - these are cheaper than pine nuts
- 1/2 or more of a mug of freshly grated Parmesan or even British hard cheese
- 4 handfuls of kale, roughly chopped, stems removed
- A bit of fresh red chilli (more or less, according to taste)
- Garlic, again according to taste. I used 2-3 cloves
- A big glug of olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
Put the almonds, Parmesan, kale and chilli in a food processor. Add a good drizzle of olive oil over the top. Blitz until it forms a nice paste – make it as smooth as you wish, splashing more oil in as needed. Taste. Adjust salt and pepper, or more nuts, Parmesan, kale or chilli as needed. Serve immediately. Or, pop into a pot, drizzle a bit of oil over the top, cover and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. It also freezes very well.