An alternative to sage and onion stuffing.
- 250g (1 1/4 lb) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon savoury seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 75g (1 1/2 lb) dried breadcrumbs
- 175ml (6 fl oz) hot stock
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 apples - cored, peeled and diced
- handful chopped fresh parsley
- Nuts: [optional]
1. Butter dish. Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
2. Rinse, pat dry and quarter mushrooms. In large frying pan, heat butter and add mushrooms and onion; sauté 5 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in savoury seasoning, salt and pepper.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs with stock and eggs, then add mushroom mixture, apples and parsley [and add nuts]; mix well. Transfer to casserole.
4. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake approx 10 minutes longer to brown top.