Spinach and Nut Deep Dish Pie
A recipe from one of our vegan members, Kay. As Kay says "Very festive and a tasty crowd-pleaser for Christmas - even the meat-eaters love it!" Serves 6.
- 450g spinach
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 100g hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 100g brazil nuts, finely chopped (could swap for other type of nut)
- 100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 100g sweetcorn
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp shoyu soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 280ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 325g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g vegetable margarine
- 175ml water
- pinch of salt
1. Grease a 7 inch loose bottom cake tin.
2. Prepare the filling: Steam the spinach until soft, drain well and chop finely. Fry the onion in the oil until soft. Mix together all the dry ingredients. Add the shoyu, tahini and sufficient stock to give a moist texture, and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
3. Prepare the pastry: Mix together the dry ingredients. Melt the fat in the water and heat until just about to boil. Add the liquid to the flour and mix well. Add extra water if the mixture is too dry.
4. Assemble the pie: Put two thirds of the dough into a 7 inch loose bottom cake tin and push into shape. Put the filling into the case and press down well. Roll out the remaining dough and make a pie lid. Glaze the top and make two small steam holes. Decorate with any remaining dough, if desired.
5. Bake at 210°C (Gas mark 7) for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 190°C (Gas Mark 5) for a further 50 minutes, or until golden brown.